Sunday, December 6, 2009

Let America Be America Again

I took a break from the book that I was reading to read Let America Be America Again by Langston Hughes. This was a quick read, but I wanted to read it since we are starting our poetry unit in class this quarter. It was a good book, a collection of poems that told the stories of the plight of black Americans and minorities. Hughes discussed the problems of wars, poverty, and more. He uses very vivid language, and you can clearly picture everything that he says is going on. This book included a number of poems varying in length and in style. It is clear to see that Hughes likes to vary his writing, but usually keeps it on the very broad topic of his longing for peace and equality for all men. I usually don't get in to poetry very much, but I can tell that during this poetry unit I am going to be reading a lot of Langston Hughes.

No comments:

Post a Comment