Sunday, November 15, 2009

Fortunate Son, Pt. I

I just started Fortunate Son by Walter Mosley, and so far this book is good but very sad. It is about a young African-American boy named Tommy born with a hole in his heart. His mother befriends a white doctor, who convinces her to take him out of the plastic case he is trapped in. The boy survives, and his mother begins dating the doctor. They move in together, and become a family (along with the doctor's son). All is well until the boy's mother, Branwyn, dies. Tommy is sent to live with his abusive father, who claims he loves him but seems to want nothing to do with him. Tommy, however, doesn't seem affected by all of this. He goes about his life trying to find the goodness in all things, even though things are pretty bleak. So far, I am only on page 113, but I can tell that this is a very deep book and I can't wait to read more!

No comments:

Post a Comment